Friday, July 27, 2012

What's In A Name - Part 3

Names, names, names...I've had names on the brain lately as I rework the names of the key characters in my recent work-in-progress. I got some great feedback recently that the name of my antagonist, Belial, was too widely known as "the devil" and if I didn't mean the character to actually be the devil I should choose something else, something more fitting and unique. So I've been on the hunt for a new name, and will probably rename most of the supporting characters so that they all mesh.

So, I thought I'd revisit my recurring post about unique real names: real people with unique names. So here are some additions:
Teenie Hutchinson
Winky Wong Ding
Kyle Heiny
Gary Terry
...and how about this for a unique company name:
Hang Lung Administration

If you're curious about some of the other names I've found in the past, you can wander over to my previous list at: What's In A Name - part 2. And my first post about names, can be found here: What's In A Name

And if you happen to have a unique name, or come across one that you think should be hightlighted on this list, let me know about it in the comment section, or send me an email: mtr(at)MichelleReynoso.com

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, this was a really nice post. In idea I would like to put in writing like this additionally – taking time and actual effort to make a very good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate alot and by no means seem to get something done.

Pamela Smyk Cleary (PSC) said...

Interesting, Michelle! I knew a Forest Green once. :-) I agree: it can be somewhat confusing and/or disconcerting reading a novel where character(s) name(s) don't quite work. One peeve of mine is when an author has a lot of characters and names them all similarly (Betty, Becky, Brenda or Betty, Letty, Hetty). Makes it rather difficult to keep track of who's who! :-] Good luck with renaming your characters. :-)

Michelle Reynoso said...

That's great - Forest Green - love it! True, similiar character names are confusing for me too, and yet I almost (I said almost) fell into the trap when I considered having all my other-worldly character names start with "E", but I quickly decided that it would make it very confusing for the readers for exactly the reason you suggested. When I started writing (so many years ago) I never realized how important the character names could be. If they are not just right, a reader doesn't buy into the story, because it's that little awkwardness that nags at their disbelief. Thanks for your comment. :)