Thursday, April 05, 2012

Once Upon A Time

The beginning. A book depends on a strong beginning. Without it, the rest of the book doesn't matter much, because most people won't get to see it. It's for this reason that I've been obsessing about the beginning of my current project. I've rewritten it more times than I could even venture to count. And still it's not quite right. So, I'm rewriting it, AGAIN. 


And wouldn't you know it, as I'm trolling social media and the internet for a momentary distraction, I came across a post on Amazon on this very topic. Uncanny. Perhaps the universe is rising to meet me, offering some help in my hour of need. Here's the post, which has some amazing pointers: Brilliant Beginnings: Engaging Readers on Page One by Susan J. Morris. If you're struggling with your book opening, this article will give you some pointers on do's and don'ts.


The universe is giving me a little nudge, and I've decided to add a little more fuel to my rewriting fire by picking a few books from the bookshelf and rereading the first paragraph of each one. I've pulled: The Adoration of Jenna Fox, Shiver, Divergent, The Hunger Games and my all-time favorite book beginning Across The Universe. I'm looking for the essence of what a good beginning is. I'm looking for some inspiration. 

So let me get back to the beginning. My book's beginning, that is. Maybe this rewrite will be "the one". Fingers crossed.

3 comments:

Sarah Negovetich said...

Good luck. If I had a penny for every word I have chopped from my MS in an attempt to get the beginning right I'd have a nice little check.

Kelly Hashway said...

Good luck! All your hard work will be worth it in the end. Still, I hope this beginning is the one!

Michelle said...

me too :)