Monday, April 09, 2012

Convert PDF Files to MOBI files


As a Kindle owner, the only thing that I find a tad challenging is reading PDF files. When downloaded to my kindle, these files show-up with tiny text which makes it hard to read. And when I try to change the font size, it enlarges the font but only gives me a small section of the page, which means I need to scroll several times just to complete a sentence.

I wouldn't have thought that I'd have a big need for reading PDF files on my Kindle, but I've already had a need for it several times - reading drafts of my work-in-progress (WIP) and previewing PDF files of book entries for The Global E-Book Awards that I'm judging.

So, I searched out a solution, and found one. Eureka! I'm sure I'm not the only Kindle owner with a need for this, so I'm posting what I found. There's information on Squidoo giving some great tips and information. In this article, it refers to a FREE software called Calibre, and that's the one I tried. And it works like a charm. I converted two PDF books into MOBI format and emailed them to my Kindle. Now they are readable. Love it! Now I can read these books that I'm slated to judge while I'm working-out at the gym, and I won't be confined to reading the files on my computer.


Here's a video showing how to use the software:

3 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Reading PDFs on a Kindle definitely isn't fun. I have to turn my sideways and the overlap between screens is awful. Thanks for sharing how to fix this issue.

Michelle said...

And it was really fast to implement too. Hope it helps. :)

Catherine Stine said...

Nice! Always good to know how to solve a techie issue. I love my Kindle Fire, BTW!