Thursday, March 29, 2012

Writing Update & Book Review - Forbidden

I'm on a roll - I made even more headway on aligning and rewriting some of the transitions to En* last night, particularly on the sections that I had moved around in the beginning. I stayed up until almost midnight working on those revisions, and I'll probably be doing the same thing tonight. Sleep, who needs it right? 


I'm reading again, usually at least two books at one time -- one at night before bed, and a second book at the gym (on my Kindle since it's easier to balance on the machines than an actual book). 


So it's time for another book review. I had finished Forbidden by Syrie James & Ryan M. James (a mother and son writing team) a few weeks back, but never got to actually sit down and write the review. So here it is: 
*For some of the less frequent readers, En is the title of my current work in progress. It's a young adult novel that dips into both sci-fi and paranormal, it's filled with action, romance, and lot's of end-of-the-world drama.

 ________________________________

Book Review - Forbidden by Syrie James & Ryan M. James

Product DetailsForbidden is a story about Claire Brennan, a teenage girl who gets moved around a lot, and now is suddenly getting psychic visions. She doesn't want to tell her mom, for fear that her mom will use it as another excuse to move them to yet another town.  For two years, Claire has managed to keep roots at Emerson Academy. She's made friends and has started to feel like a normal teen. And then, in walks Alec MacKenzie. He's also longing to just live a normal life, in one place. He's running from his past, a past that involved chasing & often eliminating angelic descendants of  his forefathers. The two were never meant to fall in love. In fact, their love is forbidden. But they are falling in love, and that just makes things worse. 

Forbidden was an easy, fast read. I like the fact that it had some unique elements to an angel themed book, not just a rehashing of already-done ideas. The relationship between Claire and Alec happened really fast, and there wasn't alot of build-up there, but it wasn't something that turned-me-off while reading. I just remember thinking "that was fast". 


I found was once I was done with the book, neither the story nor the characters stuck with me, like often happens with truly engaging books. I can't pinpoint why. As I was preparing to write this review, I had to skim through quite a bit as a refresher on the story. 


Other than that, while I was reading it, it moved quickly and kept my interest throughout. A good solid young adult book, with some crossover appeal into the adult market.





 

No comments: