Friday, January 20, 2012

Book Review - The Road

Book Review - The Road
by Cormac McCarthy
The Road


The Road…wow, what an amazing book. It is written so simply and yet it draws you in. You can feel the setting, feel the anguish of the characters, and it’s a quick read too. No wonder this book is a classic. I found myself highlighting so many parts as I read in my Kindle that when I went back over my notes there were six pages of highlights!

The Road is set in a post-apocalyptic world where life is all about survival. People have become an endangered species, hunted even by other humans. There are no animals and very little else left to scavenge for survival. The main character is a nameless father and his son who are on the move, searching for anything that will help them survive even one more day. They journey to an unknown destination with very little hope of finding anything better. The son has grown up knowing this emaciated world, and when his father talks of things the way they used to be, it is as if he is making up stories, fairy-tales.

This story will forever occupy a part of me. Haunting, enduring, and still somehow very beautiful.

No comments: