Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Have you been to your local library recently?

Have you been to your local library recently? If not, then go, quickly, and get your library card. I have to admit I'm a bit embarrassed that I was not a "card carrying member" either, at least UNTIL TODAY! Yes, I signed up at the local library today. And now that I'm looking at all the resources available at the library, I wonder why I didn't do this sooner.


Image Courtesy of DailyClipArt.net

So check this out, while at the library, look what I discovered:

1. A book discussion group in town that I'd like to join. The first book is The Road by Cormac McCarthy and I've been dying to read it.

2. Since I needed a copy of The Road, I discovered that through the library I can download a  digital copy of the book (for free!) to read. Albeit, there are two people ahead of me who have reserved a copy (probably other Book Discussion Group members)...but I can dowload it right to my kindle. Nice!

3. I can even take my family to the Natural History Museum in NYC for free with a pass from the library. I just need to reserve it in advance. That is like nearly $100 in savings for a family of four! Cha-ching!

Wow - and those are the gems I've uncovered in only about an hour. Imagine what else I can discover the more I use the library.

So, go...get your library card, and found out what benefits await you.

Meanwhile, I'm heading back to the digital library to see what else I can download to my kindle.

4 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Before my daughter started school she and I went to the library every week. I have to admit that I don't go as much now because the Book Mobile comes to her school. I should go again soon though.

Michelle said...

My visit to the library today was prompted because my son hadn't turned in a book, during his afterschool program. The library visits them and lends to them, but somehow this book got missed.

And from that one-trip, came to the realization that inspired today's post. It's amazing how a little thing like that can lead to such a eye-opening discovery.

Teresa said...

It's great that you're joining a book club at the library. I wish I had time to join a book club.

Michelle said...

@Teresa...This book club meets once a month, on a Saturday, for about an hour in a local coffee shop & sponsored by the library.

I'll let you know how it goes.