Thursday, August 04, 2011

Book Review - The DUFF

The DUFF: (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)Book Review - The DUFF
by Kody Keplinger

The DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend)...I didn't want to like this book, I really didn't. I picked it up for $5.00 at a used book store. I had heard the title touted as a must-read by the publisher before it was released, in a webinar awhile back. And when I saw it at the bookstore, I was curious. So I bought it.

When I started it, at first, I wasn't sure if I'd really get into it. It's definitely geared for teens (it is YA after all) in language and topic, where sex is as commonplace as going to school. BUT, and this is a big but, once I got into it I was hooked. I stayed up late and got up early to see how all the drama panned out. And I liked it, a lot! The story curved around nicely to a place where the main characters change from superficial to real people, as they come to realize who they are through the drama.

Recommended read for YA fans, but due to the some of the language and content I would suggest this for older YA readers only.

3 comments:

Kate Coursey said...

Hi Michelle,

I stumbled across your blog earlier today and I've really enjoyed reading through your posts! I'm a newly-agented YA author from Utah, and I also enjoyed the DUFF....great review, by the way!

Anyways, I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts!

Michelle said...

Thanks Kate - congrats on your newly-agented status! Looking forward to your comments.

Loraine said...

You have a nice review! Here's mine: http://lorxiebookreviews.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-duff-designated-ugly-fat-friend-by.html

Thank you very much, have a nice day! :)

-lor