Friday, August 12, 2011

Book Review - Before I Fall


Book Review - Before I Fall
by Lauren Oliver
 
Before I FallI had really high expectations of this book when I started it. For one, I really LOVED Lauren Oliver's second book, Delirium. And two, this was a New York Times Bestseller. With that said, the book is well-written and I was captivated by how Sam (Samantha), the main character, evolves in each new restart of the same day that she is forced to live. Think of it as the movie GroundHog Day, but for a young adult audience.
 
Before I Fall is a good solid read with good characters, but I didn't find it amazing, and I can't put my finger on exactly why. Maybe I was just expecting too much? Maybe I've seen the whole "GroundHog Day" scenario a few times before and I wanted a different plot than that? I'm not sure exactly.
 
I will say that it takes a skilled writer to create a character, like Sam, who in the beginning is the one you want to hate, and turn the story around so that you're rooting for her, genuinely. That is not easy to do, and Lauren does it here.
 
I think this is probably a unique concept to most YA readers who might not have been exposed to the movie GroundHog Day or other adult literature that deals with this same plot, and because of that, YA readers find this story so compelling. For readers unfamiliar with the movie Groundhog Day, I've included the trailer from this 1993 film below.

No comments: