Monday, July 11, 2011

Book Review - Delirium

Book Review - Delirium  by Lauren Oliver

Ok, I think I've found my next favorite author. Lauren Oliver's writing is descriptive, emotional, and yet reads quickly. I was drawn to Delirium almost as much as I was drawn to the Twilight series (different Young Adult (YA) genres, but same feeling of wanting to read the story straight through to the end).

DeliriumDelirium is a YA story about a dystopian world similiar to ours but different in one major way. Love is forbidden. Actually it's considered a disease, and everyone is "cured" of the disease as teenagers. It's mandated by the government. The majority of society are lobotomized adults with little emotion, prearranged marriages, and fixed lives. The main character is Lena, a girl nearing her procedure to be cured. But soon her world is turned upside down, and everything she grew up believing is now flipped around, all starting when she meets a boy named Alex.

I have to admit one thing. When I saw that the book was nearing the end, I was confused because the action and tension were heightening and yet the story just kept building...and then it ended, abruptly. I was like, what? And then I was a bit angry because I thought, "That's it? What happens next?" But lucky for us we live in a society where I could jump online and do some research. And now it makes sense, because this is book one of a planned trilogy. I let out a sigh of relief, and my anger turned to excitement. This is definitely a book that needed to be more than just one book, the full story needed to be told, and there are so many unanswered questions. Do don't despair when you get to the end. There's more coming!

No comments: