Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Book Review - The Boxcar Children

The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, No. 1) (Boxcar Children Mysteries)Book Review - The Boxcar Children 
by Gertrude Chandler Warner

I have to admit, I had never before heard of The Boxcar Children before this year, when a co-worker talked about it as being a book she remembered from her childhood. So, I was curious to see what it was all about, and if it might be something my 7 year-old son might be interested in. Then I saw the name pop-up on Netgalley. So I downloaded it.

My son LOVED it! He wants me to get more Boxcar Children books. And I enjoyed it too. This first book is quaint, but intriguing. It's a fun story that incorporates children's curiosity, adventure, danger, and strong bonds between these children. The writing is simple and easy, so my son has no problem reading it on his own, but it's also the kind of story that I enjoy reading to him as well. The messages hidden in the pages are also good for our kids to hear. We see these kids as hardworkers, and loyal; not afraid to roll up their sleeves and get a little dirty for the love and survival of each other.

I highly recommend this book for young readers.


No comments: