Thursday, June 23, 2011

Reading War-Juggling Two Great Books at One Time

It really is a reading war at this point. I have two great books that I'm reading at the same time, and it's amazing to see how drawn I am to both, but let me back it up first and explain how I got to this point.

So, as you probably already know from following the blog, I've been hooked on Cinda Williams Chima's Seven Realms series. And I'm fortunate to have access to an Advanced Readers Copy (ARC) of her forthcoming third book in the series titled, The Gray Wolf Throne. (I LOVE NetGalley for that...the book doesn't come out until August and I'm reading it now - so cool! And I'm LOVING the book, by the way.)  So, I'm reading The Gray Wolf Throne, but it's a digital ARC version that I can't get to my kindle, I have to read it on my laptop. I don't have time to read at my desk, I do most of my reading right before bed or at the gym.  The Gray Wolf Throne became my before-bed reading.  
The Zero GameSo that's book one, now on to book number two. I needed a second book, because I couldn't prop the laptop on the treadmill while I'm exercising (nor would I want to). So I needed one of my kindle books to fit the bill, and that's when I chose, "The Zero Game" by Brad Meltzer. I discovered Brad Meltzer not from his books, but from his series on The History Channel: Brad Meltzer's Decoded. And that led me to download one of his books to my kindle. I was curious. The book sat in my TO READ pile for a few months. And then I needed a gym-read. My finger hovered over The Zero Game as I was scrolling through trying to decide what to choose. Starting a book by an unfamiliar author can be hit or miss; I love Brad Meltzers show, but would I really enjoy his books? I am so glad I decided to give his books a try, because this book so far is a political thriller that is very hard to put down. Let me put it this way, when I'm reading this book at the gym, I've actually stayed extra a couple times already without realizing it because I was so into the book.

So now I'm reading two completely different books, and although I have defined times to read each, I will admit there are moments when I want to cross-over to the other title. They are both fighting for my attention.

Who would have thought that I'd be reading two books that were equally as good?

No comments: