Monday, April 18, 2011

Music & Books - Telling a Story

I've been listening to a lot of music lately, mostly on my phone while I'm at the gym. Pandora has become my new best friend, and I love being able to thumbs-up and thumbs-down each song that comes up, tayloring my radio stations to what I like. The act of rating my music has made me pay close attention to why I'm doing it; what draws me in, what repels me.

And here's where commonality comes into play. Good music and good books have a lot in common.

 A song needs to tell a story just as much as a book, and it also needs to evoke emotion and be relatable. Even in music, the words in a song are just as important as the melody, at least to me. The experience in both listening to music and reading a book is also influenced by what we bring to it, as well as the message the storyteller is trying to convey.

Interesting, interesting indeed. I think I need to keep paying attention to the music that I'm drawn, to keep exploring how my likes and dislikes there might also lead to more understanding in my writing.  You just never know where the next epiphany will come from and I want to be opened to any and all.

No comments: