Wednesday, April 06, 2011

Collocate vs. Co-locate

I have to admit I had never heard of the word collocate before today, but the word popped up at the office and I was instantly intrigued. Had I not looked up the word in the dictionary, I would have automatically used co-locate, but there is a difference between the two.

So I thought I'd share my newfound knowledge.

The definitions below are from Dictionary.com.

co·lo·cate  [koh-loh-keyt]
–verb (used with object), verb (used without object), -cat·ed, -cat·ing.

to locate or be located in jointly or together, as two or more groups, military units, or the like; share or designate to share the same place.
Also, co-lo·cate.

col·lo·cate   /ˈkɒləˌkeɪt/ Show Spelled


[kol-uh-keyt] Show IPA

verb, -cat·ed, -cat·ing, noun

–verb (used with object)

1. to set or place together, especially side by side.

2. to arrange in proper order: to collocate events.

–verb (used without object)

3. Linguistics . to enter into a collocation.

–noun

4. Linguistics . a lexical item that collocates with another.
At this point I was still confused; they sound so similar. That is until I found an excellent explanation on the differences of the two on the Language Portal of Canada where they answered my exact question. Here's the link to the page:  Co-locate vs. collocate
Ok, I think I'm clear now. Hope this was helpful to someone else too.

4 comments:

Brett said...

Ack! 404 on the specific page! (Just when I thought I found the answer!)

Michelle said...

Hey Brett...try this link: http://www.noslangues-ourlanguages.gc.ca/bien-well/fra-eng/vocabulaire-vocabulary/colocaliser-collocate-eng.html

Anonymous said...

just dropping by to say hey

Michelle Reynoso said...

Thanks for stopping by :)