Thursday, March 31, 2011

Book Review - Angel Burn

Angel BurnBook Review - Angel Burn
by L.A. Weatherly


Some books have great characters, some are defined by their amazing plots, and others are hailed for their writing. Angel Burn has a little of each of those things sprinkled on its pages. It was an enjoyable read that I couldn't put down. The pacing was right on, and I found myself wanting to get back to the story over and over again.

Strengths:
1. Spot on descriptions of the environment & physical descriptions of the characters without overdoing it. The descriptions were concise and helped me easily see the world the characters lived in and the characters themselves.
2. Likable characters, natural dialogue
3. Great story pacing and just enough story to come full circle while still leaving an opening to continue the story into another book. I hope there's a part two coming!

Other notes:
1. I had to get used to the transitioning of 1st person point of view in the Willow chapters and 3rd person point of view for the Alex chapters, but once I saw the pattern, I expected it and it worked. I felt more drawn to the Willow chapters than the Alex chapters, but that could be because of the point of view used and my relatability to Willow as a character.

2. Once in a while, I felt like the explanations of how the angels affected the world were a bit too convenient, and would have liked to see this explored a bit more.

This is a recommended read for Young Adult fans of paranormal and romance.

Angel Burn will officially be released on May 24, 2011.

1 comment:

Eesti said...

Willow, I loved her character. She is a strong girl, who leaves everything she knows behind, to accompany someone she doesn't even know, to possibly protect her family and herself. She changed everything she knows and believes in for the good of the world, and that takes an extremely strong character. Watching her, watch Alex I loved too. He's a constant battle in her head. Even though she knows she should hate him, she can't. I loved watching the love grow. It was intense and I loved it.