Thursday, March 03, 2011

Author Interview - Kelly Creagh

I absolutely LOVED reading Nevermore, the debut novel by Kelly Creagh. So, can you imagine my excitement when Kelly agreed to an interview for the blog. (swoon) Well, here it is folks, my interview with the awesome...Kelly Creagh.


Kelly CreaghWhere did the initial seed for the story for Nevermore come from?
I was in my first semester at Spalding University’s MFA in writing program. I was working on a separate project for middle grade readers (one which I hope to return to in the future) and I started the first chapter of Nevermore. I was just doing some free writing and thought it might be fun to pair a goth and a cheerleader together for an English project. This was back in 2005 and, actually, the first chapter of Nevermore has not drastically changed from what I first wrote even though the novel went through several drafts. I didn’t start out with Poe as a major element of the story. I just let the characters tell me what they wanted to do and so Varen picked Poe. Then I started doing a little research on Poe and that’s when the weirdness set it. I found out about his mysterious death and started reading his stories and poetry. I found a common thread of dreams and, soon, everything began to read like riddles and clues, as though Poe left breadcrumb trails in his works as to what really happened to him.

What draws you to write young adult literature?
NevermorePartly because I think I never really left the stage of adolescence. Also because the characters who come to me asking for their stories to be told are nearly always teens.

Some authors write in offices surrounded by things that inspire them, while others write in coffee shops and bookstores inspired by new people and places. Where do you write and why?
I used to spend a lot of time writing in bookstore coffee shops. When I needed a break, I could go browse the Teen section which never ever gets old. I could also order a latte and just sit in my little corner and type away! Recently, however, I’ve spend most of my writing time at my kitchen table. It’s not really a kitchen table, I guess, because I live in a small place and it’s in the same area as my living room. I don’t know why, but I do my best writing there. I always have to do some moving around when I sit down to eat, however. My table is covered in notebooks, papers and biographies on Poe!

What is one thing that fans don’t know about you, but should?
That I hide many many subtle clues in my writing. Also, I’m Batman.

I greatly enjoyed reading Nevermore and I can’t wait to see what happens to Varen & Isobel. Is there an estimate on when the sequel will be released? What’s next for Kelly Creagh?
The release date for the sequel is to be announced. Our tentative date is Spring 2012. After that, I’ll be jumping straight in to the third book. Then, after that, I have another project I’d like to finish. It’s nearly complete but I haven’t been able to get back to it since Nevermore sold. I can say that it’s incredibly different from Nevermore. In fact, it’s the *polar* opposite. ;)

Kelly Creagh is a 2008 graduate of Spalding University's MFA in Creative Writing program. When not writing, haunting bookstore coffee shops, or obsessively studying Poe, Kelly's passions include the ancient art of bellydance. She lives with her squirrely, attitude-infused terrier, Annabel, in the heart of Old Louisville, Kentucky's largest and spookiest Victorian neighborhood. Visit her at KellyCreagh.com.

2 comments:

Stevie Libra Allen said...

I don't have TIME to read this book but I wanna, I wanna, I wanna!
Oh, okay. I'll read it.
Thanks for the great interview!

Michelle Reynoso said...

Stevie-
I know the feeling. I have so many books I want to read and never enough time to get to them all.

This YA was well-worth the read, and the follow-up story is coming out in August (Enshadowed) so you won't have long to wait for the continuation of the story.