Wednesday, February 02, 2011

Book Review - The Unsuspecting Mage

The Unsuspecting Mage: Book One of The Morcyth SagaI think you'll remember me talking about downloading The Unsuspecting Mage to my kindle a few blog posts back. Here's the link for a refresher. I am fascinated by how Brian S. Pratt has carved a business for himself in publishing through selling his book via Smashwords & Amazon.com; more than just a rinky-dink business because he's poised to earn over $100,000 in 2011. So, I had to find out what he's all about. And now it's review time...


Let's start with what works. The book is imaginative, easy to read, and filled with magic & adventure. I like the way the main character, James, learns how to use magic - it's done in a very realistic, believable way.  I also like the easy flow in the language of the book. But on the same token, there are some issues.
The book ends with no real resolution. The Unsuspecting Mage is book one of a series, but it should stand on its own, and I kept thinking as I was reading toward the end that there didn't seem to be any resolution to the problems in the story. In addition, the novel meandered along seemingly on one level. There were a few parts that elevated in intensity but not by much. I would have liked the story to arch a bit more, to climb the mountain of the plot until the height of the adventure, and then leave us with a hook to continue into the next book.

But then again, that's just my opinion.

No comments: