Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Book Review - Matched

I originally bought this book for one simple reason, the author, Ally Condie, got a seven figure deal for three books and  I was curious - what kind of books can garner such a deal? And now that I've read it, I know why. Not only is this first book intriguing, but it is also well-written. I couldn't put it down. The characters are well-defined, the society, which at first appears perfect, is gradually revealed as a dystopian tyranny that is starting to lose its grip on its citizens.
Matched

And yes, there's romance, but so well done. It's not like a lot of YA stories where its more about the extent of the passion that can fit between the pages, here the affection is subtle, because this is a forbidden romance by the ruling body.

Matched will appeal to fans of The Hunger Games with less of the overt violence and more elements of carefully crafted romance and  rebellion.

I highly recommend this book for all ages of YA and as an adult crossover.

1 comment:

~Nicole Ducleroir~ said...

I can't tell you how many times I've had this one in my hands at the book store. Next time, I won't pass it up. Thanks for the review!

Happy New Year!!