Thursday, October 14, 2010

Book Review - Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater

This first book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series is a young adult romance first and foremost, and a fresh take on werewolves second. But it's not your typical romance in that one of the characters is not always human, nor your typical werewolf story where wolves change to human by the full moon. It's a mesh of the two done in a very refreshing way.

Shiver (Wolves of Mercy Falls)When I first picked up Shiver I wanted to read it because it's been talked about a lot and because the premise sounded interesting. But what surprised me most was this book doesn't take the stereotypical approach to the material, there's no real "good guy" or "bad guy". Instead it's about a girl and a wolf and how they love each other and try to cope with the obstacles.

It's a fast read, and I'm already reading the sequel. The only part that was a bit jarring at first read was the way the character POVs moved, but I soon acclimated and found it refreshing in the end.

1 comment:

Lydia Kang said...

I feel so lame bc I haven't read this yet! I must put it higher on my TBR list.
Thanks for the review!