Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Two More Books/Authors of Influence

Last week, I blogged about the Top Ten Books That Have Influenced Me, and over the weekend a couple of offshoots to that post came to me while I was thinking about it. I've learned two additional lessons from some key books/authors that I wanted to add here.

Eragon (Inheritance)The first is that I love the book Eragon by Christopher Paolini (in fact the entire series is phenomenal). But the real lesson I learned from this is, How Not to Turn a Book Into A Movie. Have you seen the movie? It is not just a bad representation of the book, it's a bad movie on it's own. The edits are choppy and the real essence of the story is just not there. It's a shame because it could have been an amazing movie. But, the ironic part is that the author probably had no say in how the movie was actually created. You win some, you lose some?

The Truth About Forever
And then on to Sarah Dessen - I am so happy that I started reading her books. What I've learned from her is how an author's voice can carry from one book to another when not writing a series. As long as you find a few strong traits to differentiate your main characters in each novel, your voice can be the same and the novel doesn't feel like a rehashing, and she has carried that over many, many YA novels.

No comments: