Thursday, August 12, 2010

Writing - Career or Hobby?

I used to say that I wrote during my free time. But honestly, who has free time? I juggle a full time job, freelance work, raising a child and being a wife. Each one of those is a full time job on its own. So I had to make a decision: is writing a hobby or a career? Is writing something I want to do for the rest of my life (whether I get published or not)? Yes and yes.

Last November, I dedicated myself to a full month of solid writing, 1700 words per day, during National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo). The goal was to write a novel in 30 days. And guess what, I made time to do it. And that experience was a turning point in how I prioritized my writing. No longer is it something I do when I can find the time (once or twice every couple of weeks). No, I make time for my writing, even if it means that I stay up to midnight getting it done. It's that important to me.

How about you? Is writing a career or a hobby? Some people will say career, and some will say hobby, both are A-OK, but just make your answer fits in with how you devote your time it.

No comments: