Thursday, July 08, 2010

What part of a story do you find easier to write?

What part of a story do you find easier to write? Had I answered that question a year ago, I would have said the end. But now I think I find it easier to write the beginning. I've finally grasped the idea of starting with a hook, drawing a reader in right from the start. It's where the characters unfold, and worlds are created.

I've toiled over the first half of my current manuscript, whipping sentences into shape, and polishing each word. I read the first have and I even get excited about it...and I wrote it. Now it's the back end that needs a lot of work. To end a story in just the right way, to ice the cake so to speak but yet still leave the readers hungering for more. That is truly a skill. And hopefully when I'm done with this second half I'll have gained as much confidence in crafting that part of the story as I did with the beginning.

No comments: