Monday, June 28, 2010

Writing Board

I have a giant cork board stationed next to my desk. It's my writing board, where I pin-up notes for projects I'm working on. The whole left side of the board, right now,  is devoted to my YA manuscript that I'm revising, The Hidden Force. I've got small pages lined up with quick reviews of each chapter to check story flow and ensure all loose ends are tied up. I also have important question lined-up on top:

What makes this story unique?
Why would someone pay to read this story?
Is the setting like another character in the story?
I keep these questions in mind while I'm revising. This weekend I read an article entitled, Building Tension to Heighten the Stakes by Jessica Page Morrell in the July/August 2010 issue of Writer's Digest, and I picked up another tidbit that is going on the board, "Change equals torment. Torment your characters and tension must result." I like that one....worthy of pinning to the board.


On the right side of the board, I have notes on several other projects: children's stories, poems, a YA post apocalyptic/dystopian novel, character ideas, etc . Sometimes it gets a bit crowded on the right side because the ideas flow quicker than the developement of these projects. But that's the beauty of the board, it keeps it all visible and I can add to it as the ideas come, so when I'm ready for a project I'm not starting from zero.

1 comment:

Lydia Kang said...

I like the idea of a board like that. I'm a visual person, so sometimes my notes on my lap top don't cut it. I just wish I could take the big board with me wherever I take my laptop!!!