Friday, June 04, 2010

What Voice Qualities Would Make Your Skin Crawl?

Question of the day:
If you were out somewhere and suddenly heard a voice close to you, but couldn't see the person, and the voice alone made your skin crawl - what qualities would that voice have? How would you describe it?

 A couple character examples to illustrate my point:
  • Hannibal Lecture when he says, "Hello Clarice" from the movie Silence of the Lambs
  • The clown from Stephen King's "It"
I would love to hear everyone's take on this, because the feedback will help me with an important beat in the revision I'm working on. Thanks!

2 comments:

JESSJORDAN said...

The only creepy voice I can think of that makes my skin crawl is Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs.

Now, annoying, skin-crawling voices: anyone who says "Get 'r done," like Larry the Cable guy (or especially Larry the Cable guy), and nasally voices like Fran Drescher (spelling?). Nails on a chalkboard.

Michelle said...

Jess-
Anthony Hopkins takes the cake for sure. Ooooh, good ones for "annoying" voices.