Thursday, June 10, 2010

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

There was a lot of buzz about this book by Scott Westerfeld, but I never felt inclined to pick it up because the title threw me off. My first impression was that this book was going to be filled with bratty teens judging each other solely on how they looked. Seemed pretty superficial to me, and not really up my alley as far as the type of book I would like. That is until my sister-in-law, and my brother, AND their daughter all read the book and loved it. At that point I knew if all three of them liked it, then I had to at least give it a try. And now, I'm so glad I did.

It took a few pages for me to get into the simple labeling of things like "uglies", "pretties", "littlies", "spagbol", but the story drew me in quickly and before I knew it I was on an adventure that I didn't want to end.

Wikipedia gives a great story synopsis. And I was excited to learn that there is a movie scheduled to release in 2011. I highly recommend this book and I can't wait to pick up the second book in the series.


Uglies

No comments: