Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Revising - Resetting the Goal Yet Again

I was supposed to be done with my revisions already...40 days...39,550 words...manuscript complete - remember when I said that; here's the post? Well my plan hasn't proven to be as simple as the mathematical formula I had devised. And I'm looking back over the last 40 days to try to understand why?
  1. Did I do the work? Yes, I revised every day except 4 days in the whole 40 day period. Not bad, for sticking to a schedule.
  2. Did I revise 1,000 words per day? Yes, and some days a bit more.
So why hasn't it worked out mathematically correct?
  1. I didn't just revise once and move on. Instead, I took my time with every paragraph, every sentence, and every word. I worked the text until it felt right, which meant revising the same section one, two, three, even four days in a row.
  2. I went back and started revising from the beginning of the story. So instead of only having to revise 39,550, I was actually revising 54,000 words.
  3. I've deleted a lot of text, and added text too. When I deleted words I counted it as part of my revision count because I had to read it, understand it, and then decide if it was needed or not.
So how do I feel? Even though I'm not where I wanted to be at this point, I actually feel GREAT about what I've done. When I read the sections I've revised, I get excited reading my work. I can feel the characters and the depth they bring to the story.

So, I know that I've taken just the right amount of time to get it done right. And I'm on a roll. I plan on continuing my revision schedule, and shoot for revising 1,000 words per day. And if I accomplish the same amount that I've accomplished thus far, then I will be 3/4 done with this revision in a month and a half. By the beginning of fall, I'll be done.

So here I go, excited and focused with a goal in hand. I'll keep you all posted!

No comments: