Monday, May 03, 2010

Book Covers & Titles

"Never judge a book by its cover." I think we've all heard that saying before, and used it too. I now realize how apropos it really is. I mentioned on Friday that I was reading The Midnight Charter, and I finished it yesterday. After I put it down, I realized that the cover never did it any justice. Granted I was reading an ARC copy, and the cover got changed before it was released, so thankfully someone saw that the change was needed. The ARC copy cover is a feather next to an ink spot (which is taken from a scene in the book) and the colors are dark browns. My first impression when I got the book, from the cover and the title combination was a book rooted in history (not usually my thing). So I let it sit on the shelf for nearly seven months before finally picking it up to read it. I probably would not have given it a second glance in the bookstore. The updated cover is shown below, which adds more drama and intrigue which is better suited for the book.

And there is the important lesson that I got out of this. The cover and the title have to attract the readers that the book is meant for, if not you've already got a black mark against you in selling the book.
The Midnight Charter

No comments: