Thursday, April 29, 2010

Observations Turn Into a Story

I was sitting in the parking lot of a local park today. I had my lunch with me, but it was a bit too chilly to eat outside on the bench only a few feet in front of me. So I stayed inside the car and ate.

There was another car in the parking lot not too far away. The occupant of the car was quirky and acting a bit bizarre.  I observed him. And within minutes a story was brewing in my head. I rushed to jot down details about the scene and the actions of the person. And voila, instantly I had a detailed story nugget and basic character development.

Stories can come from anywhere and at anytime. A person just needs to be observant and ready to write it down. Because another thing I've learned is that if you don't write it down, it fades away, never to be captured again.

No comments: