Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Twilight - Yes I'm a Fan

I'm a Twilight fan, yes I'll admit it. I know that means I'll probably get a few tomatoes thrown at this blog post, but c'est la vie! There's nothing like having a guilty pleasure. I just wish there were more Twilight books to read. I did go out on Saturday to get my copy of the New Moon DVD that was released, and yes I watched it already. No, I didn't watch it a second time yet, but I will.

It may not be a a literary stroke of genius but you have to give credit were credit is due. The series has been a huge hit. I can only hope that my books are half the success of one of the books in the series. And I wish the same for you too!

The Twilight Saga: New Moon (Two-Disc Special Edition)

2 comments:

Jane Steen said...

Splat splat splat splat splat... hear those tomatoes? You can gather that I'm not a Twilight fan. But I defend your right to read what YOU want. And as writers we should be looking at what the likes of Stephanie Meyer, Dan Brown et al. are doing right. Not in the sense of copying them, no. The world doesn't need more vampire books. But in teasing out the underlying hook that gets people reading.

For example, in the case of Dan Brown I think it's because people enjoy hearing about all those "out-there" ideas about conspiracies and whatnot without having to buy the sort of books that usually contain those ideas (seriously, would you sit in the train reading Holy Blood, Holy Grail with the title showing?) So, writer, go find some other interesting but arcane ideas and write a novel based on them. I could simply borrow my husband's books to mine them :)

Michelle said...

Hey Jane, thanks for the tomatoes, now I can make some homemade tomato sauce.

But seriously, I agree. I thank my lucky stars everyday that I live in a place where I can write and read what I want. Isn't that what freedom is all about?

And finding a hook that makes a fan base grow - priceless for anyone that wants to become a success in this crazy business.