Friday, March 26, 2010

Branding Is Important For Authors

As authors we need to market ourselves as a personal brand. That includes creating a presence on social networking sites, attending industry events for face-to-face promotion, and creating a professional website. It also includes ensuring that we are streamlining our message and finding the right audience for that message. We need to know what type of writer we are. I struggled with this for a long time because I wanted the freedom to write whatever I wanted, but I've come to understand the importance of finding a genre that matches my writing. If you try to diversify too quickly in your writing genres then you don't give yourself a chance to build up a fan base and to continue to make them happy with a steady stream of new material. I am a fan of many authors. When I think like a fan, I know that fans want a steady stream of new books, and they want consistant quality in the work. If an author spreads themselves too thin between multiple genres, how can that author satisfy the fans of each with upcoming titles?

Here are some resources to investigate how you can increase your personal branding.
Articles:
Personal Branding: How to Find Your Audience
Branding Advice From Ivanka Trump
Seven Branding Gurus on How to Build a Personal Brand

Books:

The 22 Immutable Laws of BrandingBranding For Dummies

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good comments and for calling out Branding For Dummies as a resource. From my website people can link to a free PDF of the first chapter of the book, and also link to all of my MSN columns, including columns on writing your elevator pitch and building your brand.
Thanks again,
Barbara Findlay Schenck
Co-Author, Branding for Dummies
www.bizstrong.com

Michelle said...

Barbara-

Thanks for the great resources! The elevator pitch is of particular interest to writers, particularly when pitching to agents & publishers at conferences and networking events.

-Michelle