Friday, February 05, 2010

Six Word Memoir - Can you do it?

Do you think you could tell your life-story in six words? Wow! What an interesting excercise! NPR talks about the new book, It All Changed in an Instant.
"Once asked to write a full story in six words, legend has it that novelist Ernest Hemingway responded: "For Sale: baby shoes, never worn." In this spirit, Smith Magazine invited writers "famous and obscure" to distill their own life stories into a single sentence. It All Changed in an Instant is the fourth collection of six-word memoirs from the magazine..." (read more).

Can You Tell Your Life Story In Exactly Six Words? Here's mine:

Bottom to top; over and over.
-Michelle Reynoso

7 comments:

Nicole Ducleroir said...

Ooh! I love this exercise. It reminds me of Haiku poetry. Here's my stab at describing my life in a six word sentence:

Standstill ended when I went overseas.

Fun!! Hey Michelle, be sure to pop over to my blog today...there's a little something there for you!

((hugs)) Nicole

Michelle said...

Nicole-
Thanks so much! You rock!

Linda Armstrong said...

Seeing through a child's clear eyes.

David J. Felter said...

How about, "Clear thinking can foster better judgments."

Michelle said...

Those are good!

I posted this exercise on LinkedIn too and there are currently 119 comments from group members with their own submissions to the "six word memoir". If you're interested in seeing some of the creative submissions the discussion is located...
LinkedIn Group: Authors, Writers, Publishers, Editors, and Writing Professionals
Subject: New comment (119) on "Six Word Memoir - Can you do it?"

Ricky said...

love and live what I have!

Yvonne Pierre said...

My history motivates not stops me.