Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Music and Writing

I know a lot of writers who prefer to write with music in the background. Myself, I need silence. But, music is still very important to my writing process, I just happen to use it before, not during a writing session. Music sets the mood for a specific scene, or even for a genre that I'm working on. For example, when I'm writing YA fiction, I like to listen to current pop or rock. I find Taylor Swift's music to be idealic for the mood for my current young adult project. I also like to put in some of my favorite 80's music because it brings me back to my teenage years and helps me tie into my old emotions & struggles from the times. When I'm writing poetry, instrumental music like Wyndam Hill or George Winston are the best mood setters.

Music is also great for tuning the ears for picking up great wording. Lyrics need to be short but precise. It's like poetry set to a rhythm.  How's this for a great lyric:
"Cause you can't jump the track, we're like cars on a cable.
And life's like an hour glass glued to to the table. No one can find the rewind button, girl. So cradle your head in your hands. And Breathe...Just breathe"  excerpted from the song Breath (2 AM), by Anna Nalick
I love that lyric because there's just so much in it.

It's funny because my husband doesn't pay attention to the lyrics when he's listening to a song, but for me the words are often more important than the musicality, but then I am a writer - words are my life!

1 comment:

Nicole Ducleroir said...

I try to write with music on, to set my mood, but I just end up distracted and frustrated. Maybe I should try listening through a song or two, then shutting it off and writing... Music seems like such a wonderful writing tool, but so far just doesn't work for me.

I love "Breath!" Gorgeous song, beautiful lyrics!!