Monday, January 04, 2010

Why Write?

So why write? It's an important question don't you think? I spend every spare moment of my life writing, reading, or thinking about my characters and how they can get in as much trouble as possible (and then hopefully get out of the trouble). It's not the number one priority of my life, but it is a priority - even more so in the last year. So why do I do it? I do it because I love to feel the characters come to life on the page. I love sculpting a story from just a seed of an idea. Most of my stories start as just that. Usually I don't really know exactly where it will lead - I may have a rough idea, but not a specific idea. It's a control thing in a way. It's a control that we can't exert in normal life as much as we can on the page. When was the last time you were able to list exactly what you wanted to do in your life and have it all come to pass just as you envisioned. Not! Usually there's something that makes you change plans, cross off many unaccomplished things, and suffer through with very little control. When I'm writing, If I want the character to be a heroine, no problem, add in character traits to match, put her in the right situation, and watch the fun unfold. And even more fun is to see that character have flaws, imperfections, "human" qualities and to have the control to decide exactly what will happen to her.

And, of course, I also enjoy the sense of accomplishment when a project is finished. It may take many drafts, and lot's of revisions, in other words lot's of hard work, but when it's done it feels GREAT.

So if you're like me and you've committed part of your days to writing, have you asked yourself this question? If not, let me ask the question for you...why do you write?

2 comments:

T. Anne said...

It's some insane inner drive I don't have much control over. I blame my love for reading.

Michelle said...

My reading appetite has been insatiable lately...there are just so many good books out there, by some really incredible authors.