Monday, November 09, 2009

Writing Priorities This Week

"Most people are so busy knocking themselves out trying to do everything they think they should do, they never get around to do what they want to do." – Kathleen Winsor*

What a great quote to start off another important week in my writing.
 
Today is Monday, and everyone needs a swift kick in the butt for the first day of the week and I am no exception. It's the day that I review my schedule for the upcoming week, determine prioritites, and set a plan for what I want to accomplish. So, it's pertinent to remember that some tasks have real importance and others are just hiding behind a guise of importance. So what are my writing priorities this week?
1. It's week 2 of NaNoWriMo, and I have a goal of another 13,089 words. I held a steady pace last week, and only missed one day of writing (and was able to make up some of it over the weekend).
2. In continuing with my plan of submitting my work, I've got 3 contests I plan to enter this week (2 poetry contests & 1 photography contest).
And finally...
3. It's time to resume submitting to literary agents, so I need to finish a final revision of "Petunia Wiggles, Giggles, and Hops". Then it's time to send out my baby to the first group of agents I want to target.
 
It feels good to put the things "I want to do" before other things that only pretend to be priority.
___________________________________________________________________________________
*"About Kathleen Winsor: American author Kathleen Winsor is best known for the racy historical novel, Forever Amber, which made a huge splash when it was first published in 1944, selling 100,000 copies the first week. It was banned in 14 states for its sexual content. The ensuing debate contributed to the loosening of restrictions that allowed works by D. H. Lawrence and Henry Miller to be published in the US. Winsor wrote a number of other novels, none as successful. She was born in 1919 and died in 2003." - quoted from Today's Inspiration newsletter, Waterfront Media, Inc.

No comments: