Wednesday, October 28, 2009

My Writing Plan - Year End 2009

Ok I've fine tuned my approach of how I'm proceeding with my writing - the business side of things. Instead of putting all my hopes into just one project, here's my plan. I want to have several writing pieces that are at different stages at any one time, so as one gets published then there's always a next one either in the works or ready to go.

1. I'm doing some minor revisions to my children's book ("Petunia Wiggles, Giggles, and Hops"). I had it tucked away for a few months and now I see it with a new perspective and I'm ready to do some much needed revisions.  Then I will start submitting it to contests, agents, children's magazines - everywhere. I feel that it's nearly ready, just a few minor touch-ups. Then it's submit, submit, submit until I find the right home for it. In preparation, I need to review and tweak my query letters and here are some great tips on query letters from agent Janet Reid: 20 tips on Query Letters.



2. My YA sci-fi/fantasy novel, "The Hidden Force",  is still being revised. I know in my gut that it's still not quite where it needs to be. The plan is still to whip it into shape in time to enter the Delacorte Press Contest for a First Young Adult Novel - the deadline is 12/31/09.

3. Of course NaNoWriMo is only a few days away and that will take up most of my writing time come November 1st. By the end of November, I'll have an extremely rough draft but at least it will be another project that will have all the main elements and structure and will be ready for some revisions. Then that draft will be shelved until "The Hidden Force" is revised.

So, that's my plan! It's sounds so simple on paper doesn't it?

No comments: