Monday, September 28, 2009

Writing In Different Genres - What's the Answer?

So does anyone else have this same dilemna? I love to write, many different genres, and yet I find that each book project I have in the works would require a different agent and publisher. Argh - is anything in this industry easy?

Here's what I mean. Here's a list of my current writing projects and the genres of each:

1. POETRY: My first book, "Do You?", was a collection of original poems & photographs. It has gotten acclaim as a finalist in two contests (The NY Book Festival, & The Writers Digest International Self-Published Book Awards), and I'd like to compile a second volume.

2. CHILDREN'S: I've completed a children's book, "Petunia Wiggles, Giggles, and Hops". I'm preparing to send it out to agents.

3. YOUNG ADULT: I'm completing revisions on my YA sci-fi/fantasy novel. The plan is to submit to two upcoming contests, and then to agents.

4. SELF-HELP: I've got rough draft pages on a Self-Help Management Book I've been preparing over the last few years. It still needs a lot of work before it's close to completion and I need to map a plan to finish it.

5. ADULT: I've got plans to write an adult novel for NaNoWriMo in November.

I just love to write, and I love to experiment with different styles. I know most agents will want me to associate myself with one genre to gain momentum with that particular fan base, and I'm certainly willing to commit myself to writing more in one genre once I get committments, but why not keep myself open to all writing styles, because you never know which one will be the ONE. Right? Anyone else have an opinion on this?

No comments: