Thursday, August 06, 2009

Agent Submission - Update

Another rejection letter, and yet I'm doing a happy dance. Yes, I did just say that. The rejection letters won't daunt me, because I'm feeling more confident than ever about my novel. I've done so much revision work since submitting it that it's finally whipping into shape. And yet, I know that I still have more work to do to make it as polished as it needs to be. I don't just want a mediocre novel, I want a GREAT novel!

Plus, it fits in with my revised plan-of-action for this novel, which is revising until October (if needed), then submitting to the Delacorte Press Contest for a First Young Adult Novel. One of the stipulations of the contest is that manuscripts cannot be submitted to other publishers or literary agents while under consideration for the prize, so it works out perfectly. Notification is between January and April as submissions are evaluated by the editors, with final contest results announced around April 30, 2010. If I get notification before the end of January, then plan B is to submit the novel to the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award. Plan C will be to submit to a new round of literary agents after that. So it's just the beginning of the process.

And since my goal is to finish revisions by October, then I'll be ready for this year's NaNoWriMo November 1-30, and this year I'm determined to finish. National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.

1 comment:

T. Anne said...

Sorry about the rejection, glad your taking it all in stride.