Monday, July 13, 2009

The Whisper of Stories

I've got so many notes stored in boxes. I carry a notebook with me almost everywhere because I don't know when I'll be inspired by a scenery, a character, or even a dialogue. I did the same thing in acting school as we were taught to constantly observe our suroundings and take notes. It works the same for writing.

I've got so many writing projects just waiting in the wings, many that started as a single note in my notebook. But it's hard to keep denying those ideas that whisper to me in the quiet. I record them, hoping that one day I'll get the chance to develop them.

The hardest part is finding a way to categorize the character sketches, story ideas, and misc notes that I've accrued over the years. It's hard to be inspired by something that is sandwiched in a manilla folder collecting dust.

I remember seeing a news piece on Phyllis Diller and she used to have a huge card system to store all of her joke ideas. It worked for her.

But I'm very visual and I need to see the notes to be inspired by them. So I'm curious, fellow writers & artists, how do you deal with this problem?

No comments: