Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Sobering Updates on the Publishing World

Today's post is another update on the status of the publishing world. Even though the news is just another reminder of how hard the publishing world is being affected by changes in the industry and the economy, It's also a reminder to all of us writers that we need to be more vigilant now. We need to fine-tune our work to a level that is more ready for agents & publishers than ever before.

I'm forcing myself to revise, revise, revise; creating the most polished manuscript I can. I've had portions of my work read by people I trust for feedback, and then it's back to revise, revise, revise. I may even send my manuscript out to a professional editor, and submit it for reviews. I've got contests lined-up as potential venues. And every agent, contest, and professional I consider means research. My hope is that the added work will increase my chances of securing a traditional publisher for my novel. I will not lose hope, I will persevere, as I hope all of you will too.

And in the words of Cardinal Leon Joseph Suenes, "Hope is not a dream, but a way of making dreams become reality."

Outlook gloomy for US publishers - survey
Pay freezes, job insecurity and dissatisfaction characterise the US publishing industry,...
How Low Can You Go? PW's 2009 Salary Survey, by Jim Milliot -- Publishers Weekly, 7/13/2009

No comments: