Monday, June 22, 2009

A Weekend of Movies Made From Books

What a great movie weekend - it gave me inspiration and a chance to really unwind.

I watched "A Wrinkle in Time". I'm reading the book by Madeleine L'Engle now, but saw the video in Blockbuster and had to pick it up. I can't believe I never read the book or saw the movie before now, where have I been? What a classic, very imaginative, and some parallels to my novel too.

I also rented another classic, "What Dreams May Come". I loved this movie when it first came out and loved it still this time around. What I didn't know is that the movie was made from a book written by Richard Matheson. Now I want to read the book too.

And the third was yet another movie made from a book. This one is called "Hogfather" written by Terry Pratchett. Very different, very "out-there", and yet it worked for me (and for my family too). After watching the video, it left me wondering about the creative process to create such an interesting story. I'm a writer but sometimes I stand in awe of other writers' creativity, and this one left me in awe.

So now, I'm super inspired, inspired by the stories of writers who have made such interesting and colorful stories that make me want to write stories just as interesting.

2 comments:

cher said...

I hear you. When I read Widow for a Year I felt the same way. How he moved from past to present and back, then interweaving a story within a story was brilliant to me.

I heard J.K. Rowling actually intended to up the reading level of the Harry Potter books. The reading level of each new book increases corresponding with her readers getting older?. If that is true that is pretty ingenious.

Michelle said...

Really?! Wow, I hadn't noticed that either when reading Harry Potter, but now that you mention it I would agree with it, the stories do seem to correspond - very ingenious!