Tuesday, June 09, 2009

New York Book Festival

So, Friday I accepted an award at the New York Book Festival, and as promised I've got the recap below. It truly was an honor to have my work recognized at the event, and an even greater honor to be surrounded by such creative talent at the reception and awards ceremony.

First off, I met some fantastic people at the reception. Here's a picture of me with Terin Tashi Miller & K. Patrick Malone. They were both honored at the event with their books in the Fiction category: Terin Tashi Miller for From Where The Rivers Come and K. Patrick Malone for An Unfinished House (to be released in September).


Second, it was held at the Alonquin Hotel in New York City and for those of you not familiar with the hotel's rich literary history, here's a quick blurb from their website: "...In the early years, illustrious clients such as the Barrymores, William Faulkner, Gertrude Stein, Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford patronized the hotel and its eateries. The best known, perhaps, were the members of the Round Table -- who lunched daily at the The Algonquin's Rose Room for 10 years, beginning in 1919."

And here's a picture of me in front of the famous round table.

And third, After accepting the award I got the opportunity to hold the microphone and give a quick speech. What an unexpected thrill!

I was humbled to receive the honorable mention award in the Poetry category for my book Do You? and I hope it's a sign of great things to come.

5 comments:

Lynnette Labelle said...

Congrats on your award. Do you just write poetry or do you write novels as well? If you write romance, you might be interested in a contest I'm hosting on my blog. Check it out at: http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

Lynnette Labelle

Michelle said...

Thanks Lynnette! I write poetry and YA fantasy...I'll check out your blog and perhaps I can feature your contest on my blog tomorrow to get the word out. Sounds like a great contest!

Anonymous said...

Bonjour I'd love to congratulate you for such a great quality forum!
thought this would be a nice way to introduce myself!

Sincerely,
Robin Toby
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/shark-party-supplies.html]shark Party Supplies[/url].

Anonymous said...

Hi guys, my names Eva and im completely new to this forum.

I hope that I'll learn and share a lot of interesting things.

Thanks,
Eva

Michelle said...

Welcome Eva! I love new voices to the group.

-Michelle