Thursday, May 28, 2009

Writers Digest/BEA Writers Conference Update

Yesterday was an awesome experience at the Writers Digest/Book Expo America Writers Conference. Let me just list out a few of the highlights that made the day extra special:
  1. I got to enjoy the conference with my brother who drove down from NH. That, in itself, made the day extra special. George is a talented writer who is working on several projects ranging from a witty non-fiction project to a children's book and a light romantic novel. You can check out his blog: Thoughts of A George.
  2. It was amazing to be surrounding by so many creative, inspired writers who were hungry for knowledge and eager to talk about their projects. Writing can often be a lonely venture, so it was nice to talk to fellow writers on the pitch lines, at lunch, and in the conferences.
  3. Listening to some of the questions by fellow novice writers, I realized that I'm more informed in many more areas than I had realized. I credit that to a lot of the research I've been doing and the blog following on writer and agent sites. I also know that I've got a lot to learn too.
  4. I am so glad I participated in the pitch slam. I have to admit it was a bit daunting, but I kept a full bottle of water handy to quench my dry mouth, and I practiced my pitch repeatedly in preparation for the event. I also combined much of the advice I had uncovered about pitching to agents: I kept it concise, I memorized the pitch, and went in with enthusiasm. I am happy to report that I pitched to 4 agents and got material requests from all 4. So, I'm excited that it's an advantage over anyone sending their material cold, I'm able to get to the top of the slush pile as opposed to the middle or bottom. Yahoo! The interesting part is all 4 requested different amounts of material, so I thought I'd share what they requested:
  • First 10 pages
  • First 3 chapters
  • Query letter and 1,000 words
  • Full manuscript

I'll go into more conference reporting on tomorrow's blog post.

4 comments:

T. Anne said...

Thanks for the update, god luck to you! I went last year and really enjoyed!

beth said...

Wow--it sounds amazing! I'm so jealous!

Litgirl01 said...

YAY!!! So happy for you!!!

Michelle said...

I just want to say that if I can do it and get requests from my first conference then anyone can.

Thanks for the awesome support everyone - it really is great to have your encouragement and feedback.