Tuesday, May 12, 2009

What's the Difference Between Science Fiction and Fantasy?

So I had to decide if my novel, The Hidden Force, is YA Science Fiction or YA Fantasy. Hmmm, so what's the difference between the two? Well, if you know me, that question sent me online to do a search to see if I could find the answer.

Amazon's Fantasy Community discusses it here: http://www.amazon.com/tag/fantasy/forum?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=FxRHP2KEWXI0H1&cdThread=Tx3TMH3ESKQN3L4

eHow article: http://www.ehow.com/how_4771320_difference-between-science-fiction-fantasy.html?ref=fuel&utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

Ok, so I've read those (and several additional articles too) and my problem is that my novel is a mixture of both: fantasy & science fiction.

So where does that leave me? Any suggestions?

2 comments:

beth said...

How about Science Fantasy? That's an accepted genre label and may be more specific for your work. Or, you could call it a SF Space Opera, if that applies.

I'm in a similar situation. In my query, I plan to call it a science fiction light on science, and compare it to similar works.

Michelle said...

It's just so amazing how many labels there are to navigate through. Who would have thought?