Thursday, May 14, 2009

Preparing My Pitch

I am a writer, so naturally I feel more comfortable pitching myself and my writing on paper. And yet, I'm going to be participating in the "pitch slam" at the Writers Digest/BEA Writers Conference, where I'll actually have to talk about my novel.

Am I nervous, oh yeah! Am I excited, oh yeah! Am I prepared, not so much. I mean, yes, I now have my one-sentence pitch, but that takes all of 10 seconds. So what do I do for the remaining 9 minutes and 50 seconds?

So as I craft my longer version of the pitch, I find myself curious about what an agent expects during that 10 minute session. If you have the same curiousity as me, check out this blog from Mary Lindsey at QueryTracker: http://querytracker.blogspot.com/2009/01/elevator-pitch.html

Ok, time to write up a pitch with a few more details, stand in front of the mirror, and practice. I have a feeling my husband is going to be voluteered as a mock-agent for some practice sessions. I hope he's not too brutal.

4 comments:

beth said...

Ah, good luck! I worked on a pitch recently, too--it's so hard to condense!!!!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Good luck at the conference.

I'll be attending the SCWBWI (Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators--try saying that real fast five times) annual conference in LA this summer. Unfortunately they don't have a pitch slam, but maybe that's not a bad thing, either. I still have two written though (one for a WIP) just in case.

Michelle said...

Stina-
Thanks.

I'm trying to work it out so I can attend a regional scbwi conference in NJ in June.

Good luck on your MSs and I hope an opportunity does arise for you to pitch.

Mary Lindsey said...

I hope your pitch was wonderful. Sorry I'm just now getting to this post. Thanks for linking to mine and for the sweet comment you left.

Mary