Monday, May 18, 2009

People Watching & Inspiration

Sometimes all you need is a break and some inspiration. On Saturday morning I woke up exhausted, with hints of a cold coming on, but I worked through it all and got a few hours of revising in. I had to take advantage of the quiet "me time" I had been given, as my husband and son left to run errands. But by 1:00 I was zoning out, and needed a break. So, I took a trip to the mall.

Yep, sure did, and it was the best break I could have taken. I put my observing cap on and set out to do some people watching. Since my novel is a YA novel, with teen characters, the mall was the best place to watch teen behaviour. And boy did I get some good stuff to use for my character development and dialogue. The mall was full of teens. And since it's been a few years since I was a teenager, I needed to brush-up on current teen language and mannerisms (without dating it too much). I want my characters to be relatable.

After the people watching, I stopped in to Borders and perused the YA & sci-fi/fantasy sections to do some research. I've been trying to match up my novel to some writers/books out there to give agents/publishers a reference point of what my novel is like. This is much harder than I had anticipated, but I think I've got it narrowed down. I would have to say that fans of C.S. Lewis' "Chronicles of Narnia" and Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" series would be the targets for my novel.

While at Borders, I also took the time to just absorb the energy there. I love the fact that whenever I visit Borders, there are tons of people there. People are sitting in the chairs, on the floor, in groups, and by themselves. And all of them are reading. It's encouraging to see all those people reading. And I picture that one day I'll go in and see them reading my book. Won't that be a thrill!

5 comments:

Litgirl01 said...

That wouls such a dream come true to see my book on the shelves. *sigh*

Sandra McLeod Humphrey said...

Great blog and Good Luck!

Michelle said...

Litgirl01 - Dream big...it can happen!

Sandra - Thanks...I hope you'll check back often as I have a new blog entry everyday.

Ginger*:) said...

Yes, we all need a break now and then. I think from what you have written I would love to see your book on our bookstore shelf. All the best!

Michelle said...

Thanks Ginger - I would love to see that too. I'll keep you posted.