Saturday, May 09, 2009

A One Sentence Book Pitch

I'm trying to come up with a good one sentence pitch for my YA novel, The Hidden Force. This is a good exercise for introducing my book when someone asks me, "So what's your book about?"

When asked, I usually stutter and meander my way around the plot. People look at me confused. Then I try to explain it further, and their faces tilt to the side and scrunch up. You know the look. Probably not a good first impression of my book.

So, I'm working on it.

One sentence pitch...how the *@!! do you get a whole novel into one sentence? Well, I did some research online, and I've discovered a good explanation of what the pitch should and shouldn't include. Check out this post by Joanna Stampfel-Volpe of Nancy Coffey Literary on QueryTracker: http://querytracker.blogspot.com/2009/04/dreaded-pitch-what-to-include-in-that.html

AND, there's a contest that will be released on Monday on QueryTracker. I just might give it a shot. For anyone else who might be interested, here are the details:

Upcoming Contest!On Monday May 11th, our second agent-judged contest will open for entries. Literary agent Brendan Deneen with FinePrint Literary Management has graciously agreed to judge one-sentence pitches. You can only enter if your manuscript falls in the following genres: YA thriller, YA horror, YA fantasy, YA sci-fi, or adult thriller. Watch for a special post this weekend with details on how to enter. We are very excited to work with Mr. Deneen, and we wish you all the best of luck!

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Glad it was helpful! Good luck with the contest.

Cheers!

Joanna said...

Glad it was helpful! Good luck with the contest.

Cheers!